Was it the same all over again? Another night that just passed by tossing on the bed because this ain’t your usual sleep routine. If you are reading this, I’m sure you are one of those people. There can be many reasons why you would just end up feeling uneasy all night long and get no sleep. And lack of sleep could actually be one of those reasons. If you are new to this sleep routine that’s making you sleep during working hours, then it’s completely okay to go for medicines that are available without a prescription as they may not be fatal unless consumed in excess.
You might have been fascinated by the two medicines named Modvigil and Modalert as the basic functioning of both these pills is quite similar. However, there have been cases where people have preferred one over the other. The basic formation of the drug, however, is adapted from a medicine called Modafinil, sold under the brand name Provigil among others.
Modafinil is a medication used to treat sleepiness due to Shift Work Sleep Disorder or Obstructive Sleep Apnea(OSA). It is generally taken by mouth.
Any form of generic Modafinil when consumed will help you experience the following things:
- Wakefulness: If you want to stay awake and active despite the weariness from last night, ingesting any form of Modafinil will keep you active for somewhere between 10-15 hours. The Modafinil brand, the dosage, and time of day decide its effectiveness. If you plan to sleep during the half-life, that’s going to be a tough job.
- Increased Focus: Modafinil is also a very powerful stimulant when it comes to increasing your focus towards anything. It’s totally one of a kind! If it is one of those days when you need to increase your concentration, popping a pill can help you a lot.
- Improved Overall Cognition: Users have claimed that they “feel” smarter on Modafinil. You are likely to notice having gained more consciousness if you are using this drug.
- Great Productivity: Consuming this drug will help you work more actively and efficiently. Your regular output is likely to be increased by 50-100%.
- Improved Memory Retention: You are likely to read and learn more efficiently while on these drugs. It can in fact bless you with a sharper memory as far as its effects last.
So when compared, the general benefits of Modvigil and Modalert are almost the same, when dosing protocol is similar.
The answer to the question, “If the actual drug is Modafinil, how can Modvigil and Modalert be very similar to each other?” is that – Due to the fact that Modafinil’s patent has expired, other companies can now use its composition to make medicines with the same purpose but with a different name and packaging. It’s just similar to comparing it to an oligopolistic market, where many sellers sell the same product under different names and different compositions. The tastes and the qualities of the products might differ but in the end, they are the same product and not at the same time.
While Modvigil might have an ingredient in abundance and Modalert might have lesser of the same, the sole purpose of both of them is just the same, i.e. to cure excessive sleepiness.
Preferences differ! However, for most people who have consumed both the medicines at some point in their life; have reviewed Modvigil as the better option. Reason being the composition, pricing, as well as the packaging and more often than not, the better presented is the better accepted. Also, the composition of Modvigil is more similar to Modafinil when compared to Modalert.
Apart from curing Shift Work Sleep Disorder, the drugs have been referred to as smart drugs as they are believed to make people smarter.
Modalert is advised to be taken in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. You can swallow it as a whole as it is not required to be crushed or broken. It may be taken with or without food. It also modulates the levels of chemical messengers in the brain and exerts a stimulant effect to reduce extreme sleepiness. When consumed with alcohol, Modalert 200mg tablet may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness. It might also not be safe to be used during pregnancy. Studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus of animals, however, there are limited human studies. Therefore, the benefits from use in pregnant women may be acceptable despite the risk. You can always consult a doctor though.
So, why does Modvigil win the battle between Modalert Vs Modvigil?
While the half-life lasts at least 12-14+ hours when on Modalert 200mg, Modvigil offers a little shorter half-life. With full effects, Modvigil tends to last only 9-11+ hours or at 11-12+ hours at maximum, but never longer than that. This is a significant difference between the two medicines.
If you’re struggling to get better sleep at night, then you should definitely go for Modvigil. Modalert may be a better choice when you want to work from 8 am to 11 pm.
There’s a minor difference but should be noted, Modvigil is not as strong as Modalert. Well, this means, for individuals new to Modafinil, this could be a benefit. And honestly, if you are a new user, I think the usage of Modvigil is a better choice as adapting to the strong medication of Modalert might be a little risky. However, if you’re a regular Modalert user, then switching to Modvigil would be suboptimal, as you may find it less effective.
Also, Modvigil is a less expensive drug which is why it is cost-efficient as well.
If you have made up your mind to use any of these pills, you need to keep these things in your mind:
- Consume it with or without food, depending on when you need to be alert.
- Try not to use it as a replacement for a good sleep routine, and also try getting the right amount of sleep every night.
- If you notice headaches, try curing them by drinking plenty of water and by switching to painkillers. If they still don’t seem to fade, do consult a doctor.
- Driving should be avoided during the first consumption of this drug.
- Combination of alcohol with any medicine causes side effects. So, you should definitely refrain from combining the two of them.
- Get a health checkup done to ensure that you are not on any risk with heart diseases or blood pressure.
- If you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding, you need to stop using this drug.
- Consumption of Modafinil with contraceptive pills makes them less effective. Consult with a doctor for effective contraception.
- Sudden mood changes or suicidal thoughts are a sign that you need to see a doctor.
- If you have any history of depression, anxiety, mood disorder, or mania and drug abuse or experience rash, itching or breathing problem while taking this medicine, stop taking medication and inform your doctor.
- If you notice difficulty sleeping, diarrhea, hallucinations, nausea, chest pain, and fast or slow heart rate, seeing a doctor could help.
- Long term usage may lead to addiction. So try using the medicine when actually needed and consult a doctor before getting rid of the medicine.
There are certain things that you need to be clear about, in case you are planning to use this medicine:
- Usage of this drug does not cure these sleep disorders and may not get rid of all your sleepiness. Modafinil does not help you with completing your sleep. If you have a sleep disorder, do not try using this drug as a replacement for sleep. Usage of this drug may basically function in keeping you awake, but it is not a sleep supplement.
- The mechanism of Modafinil is still unknown. A stimulant is thought to work by affecting certain substances in the brain that control the sleep/wake cycle. Therefore, regular usage of this drug can be addictive.
If you wish to work late, stay awake, enhance your productivity, or brighten your mood, you can use Modafinil. This drug can be used by anyone who wishes to. But if you are fighting stress or anxiety, you shouldn’t be using this medicine. Stress, anxiety, and depression can turn any medicine into an addictive drug. So, try refraining from this medicine if you are going through any of them.